Sunday, November 4, 2007

Gloria Estefan Memoir

Another favorite of mine is a Gloria Estefan memoir, contributed by a Cuban-American friend of mine from Miami. Back then, I was working on a multi-post series which focused on 1 artist/group. Needless to say, after 2 or 3 volumes, I kinda forgot about that project. What can I say, I'm a fickle writer! LOL









"The Miami Sound Machine's original lineup included Gloria, Emilio, Enrique Garcia, Juan Avilia, and Merci Murciano (Gloria's cousin), and helped launched backup singer, Jon Secada's solo career. The group released four Spanish LPs in the early 80s: Renacer, Otra Vez,
Rio, and A Toda Máquina.

In 1975, at the urging of her mother, Gloria Fajardo (her maiden name) sang some songs at a wedding, which was being entertained by a local party band, The
Miami Latin Boys. The band leader, Emilio Estefan, was so impressed by her smooth alto voice that he hounded her to join his band. She reluctantly agreed, but only to sing on weekends. No longer all boys, the band was rechristened The Miami Sound Machine.

My first encounter with the Miami Sound Machine took place in June of 1976, when the group was hired to play for the junior prom at the middle school where I taught. Locally, most if not all of the teenagers in
Miami knew about the group, and my students were very excited to have the Miami Sound Machine play at their prom. If I remember correctly, the total price for their appearance was about $700.00.

The students danced to many salsa tunes, and they were also engaged in slow, romantic dancing, while listening to Gloria’s beautiful ballads such as “Renacer” and ”Otra Vez”. The evening was truly successful, and the rest of the band’s success is history.

I also felt very good that night. I felt very proud that one of my compatriots was the “main event” that evening. Today, my feelings have not changed."


No comments: